A Month of Meatless Meals October 30, 2010Posted by nrhatch in Animal Welfare, Food & Drink, Vegetarian Recipes.
Tags: Food, Recipes, Vegetarian
Those of you who’ve been reading SLTW for any length of time have no doubt picked up on the fact that I’m a vegetarian for three primary reasons: (1) better for me; (2) better for the planet; and (3) better for the animals I would otherwise be consuming.
Many readers have expressed the desire to incorporate more meatless meals into their own cooking.
For those of you who are interested in saving money (while saving the planet), here’s a list of Menu Ideas for a Month of Meatless Meals:
1. Stir Fried Veggies over Rice, Vegetarian Egg rolls
2. Veggie Burgers, Steak Fries, Baked Beans
3. Broccoli Alfredo, Salad Bar, Rosemary Garlic Bread
4. Rustic Lasagna, Italian Bread, 3 Bean Salad
5. Fondue or Raclette, Baguette, Broccoli & Cauliflower
6. Thai Noodles with Peanut Sauce (with Veggies)
7. Split Pea Soup with Homemade Croutons
8. Macaroni and Cheese, Tomato Soup
9. Greek Salad, Hummus, Pita Chips
10. Cheese Quesadillas or Nachos, Refried Beans, Salsa
11. Mexican Curry, Rice, Raw Veggies with Dip
12. Tomato Pie, Sautéd Zucchini
13. Vegetarian Lecsó, Rice, Three Cheese Bread
14. Harvest Soup, Crusty Cuban Bread
15. Veggie/Cheese Subs, Versatile Pasta Salad
16. Spanokopita, Tabbouli Salad with Tomatoes
17. Veggie Fajitas (onions, peppers, broccoli, carrots)
18. Zucchini Boats, Roasted Root Veggies, Fruit Salad
19. Vegetarian Chili, Rice, Grated Cheese, Cornbread
20. Sausage and Peppers Pizza (Boca sausage)
21. Curried Veggies over Rice, Peanuts, Chutney
22. Two-Grain Veggie Casserole, Cole Slaw, Fruit
23. Shepard’s Pie (Peas, Carrots, and Potatoes)
24. Spaghetti with Garlic Basil Sauce, Italian Bread
25. Thanksgiving: Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing (with sautéed Celery and Onions), Glazed Carrots, Green Beans Almondine, Bourbon Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce, and . . . PIE!!!
26. Pasta Primavera with Basil Pesto, Bruschetta
27. Morningstar Farms Hotdogs, Baked Beans
28. French Onion Soup, French Bread, Salad
29. Cheese Pizza (w/veggie toppings), Salad Bar
30. Spinach-Rice Casserole, Steamed Carrots
None of these recipes contain exotic ingredients. All can be made quickly, easily, and inexpensively (except for Raclette ~ it’s expensive).
Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg: Nine Bean Soup * Curry Dip * Fun with Food ~ Kid’s Lunches * Veggie Wraps * A Sunset Dinner Cruise * Veggie Tacos * Veggie Kabobs * Fiber Up Your Diet * Bon Appetit!