More Than A Numbers Game July 29, 2015Posted by nrhatch in Blogging, Gratitude, Happiness, Humor.
Blogging is more than a numbers game for me. I am interested in quality interactions, not sheer quantity of visitors.
1. I have more followers than visitors and more visitors than comments. That’s OK. People who comment tend to be people who enjoy expressing themselves via the written word. Others don’t possess that gene.
2. Writing is great when we have something to say. It’s a burden, a bore, and a chore when we write just to say something . . . for that, there’s Facebook.
3. We don’t know the impact our words have on others ~ perhaps what I write will entertain, amuse, educate, or resonate with someone “later” (at the exact moment s/he needs to hear them).
Or perhaps not . . .
4. One night, someone who hadn’t visited for a while commented on 20+ posts in no time at all ~ as if engaged in a race to some imaginary Finish Line.
I wondered about the point of her blitzkrieg.
Did she think I would find it flattering?
5. When I started blogging there was no LIKE button on WordPress. When it first appeared, I LIKED that visitors could LIKE a post without adding to the discussion thread if they had nothing to say.
But then I saw how “Waldo Was Here” visitors overused the LIKE button, perhaps as a fishing lure to get me to visit their blogs?
Haha! Joke’s on them . . .
6. Tired of receiving notifications of LIKES (which require no response), I disabled the “E-mail me whenever someone . . . LIKES one of my posts” button.
If I’m enjoying the journey, I win. No matter what.
After all, if it’s not fun, why blog?
Aah . . . that’s better!
“If you have any young friends who aspire to become writers, the second greatest favor you can do them is to present them with copies of The Elements of Style. The first greatest, of course, is to shoot them now, while they’re happy.” ― Dorothy Parker
Related posts: Does Passion Always Lead To Success? (L. Marie’s Blog) * Two Years On (Lively Twist) * Want to Succeed? Let Go. (Think Simple Now) * Inspiration ~ Let It Go (Find Your Middle Ground) * The Path of Least Resistance (SLTW) * WordPress 108: Liking, Following, or Not (Lively Twist)