Why It’s Important NOT To Give A Shit! May 25, 2015Posted by nrhatch in Happiness, Humor, Life Balance, People.
In the following clip, Carlin discusses the dissonance between who he thought he was and who he really was and how he shifted mid-career from someone who was on stage to entertain by pleasing people to someone who was on stage to share his honest thoughts with the world.
One reason people claim that there are “no mistakes in life, only lessons” is because (if we pay attention), everything teaches us something. We are always evolving, shaped by our experiences with people, places, and things:
* We try X, it doesn’t resonate, so we cross X off the list b/c X is not what we are here for.
* We try Y, it fits likes a glove, so we keep doing Y, until we are prompted to move past Y and onto Z.
I suspect Carlin didn’t feel as much dissonance at the outset of his career. But once he saw his peers (Lenny Bruce, Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, Grace Slick) shrugging off the status quo, he knew he needed to head in the same direction.
Aah . . . that’s better!
* Trust yourself and you will know how to live. ~ Goethe
* You don’t need a permission slip to live your life.
* Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind. ~ Dr. Seuss