Things I’ve Re-Learned This Year December 27, 2014Posted by nrhatch in Humor, Mindfulness, People, Spirit & Ego.
Life lessons aren’t mastered in a single bold stroke. We learn, we practice, we forget, we remember, we re-learn.
Here are a few key notes I re-learned this year:
1. Like a bottomless well, Ego’s desire for applause, accolades, approval, acknowledgement, acclaim, awards, and recognition is never satiated.
2. When we stroke Ego, it purrs. When we stop, it snarls.
3. People want us to do what they want us to do when they want us to do it. They are affronted when we don’t.
4. When people ask us to “be honest” . . . they don’t always mean it.
5. It’s silly to buy another pair of shoes because we want an Ego Boost from others when they see us rocking our new ruby slippers.
6. In many ways, we are at the mercy of the tides. Life ebbs and flows. Joy comes and goes. Sorrow is hard to avoid.
7. Even if we’re not convinced that “everything happens for a reason,” taking time to look for “silver linings” helps us deal with passing clouds.
8. When we aren’t wedded to a set destination, we enjoy the journey (and its inevitable detours) more.
9. If we are enjoying the journey, we win. No matter where the wind blows us.
Aah . . . that’s better!