The Wonderful World of C~H~E~E~S~E December 18, 2014Posted by nrhatch in Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure.
On Saturday, we attended a Cheese Tasting presented by The Fresh Market at the Main Library.
We had the opportunity to try 10 cheeses from the Eight Cheese Familes:
1. Fresh Cheeses ~ Goat Log and Cilegene (fresh mozzarella)
2. Soft Ripened/ Bloomy Rind ~ Ile de France Brie
3. Washed Rind ~ Chaumes
4. Pressed Uncooked ~ Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar
5. Pressed Cooked ~ Kaltbach Cave Aged Gruyere
6. Pasta Filata (Stretched Curd) ~ Armenian String
7. Blue Veined ~ Buttermilk Blue
8. Specialty ~ Wendsleydale cranberry and Cran Le Roule
Each table of four tasters had all cheeses within arm’s reach which enabled us to compare and contrast the tangy peppery goat log with the rich Brie with the sharp Buttermilk Blue.
Karen LaBonte, the cheese specialist, brought Raspberry and Apricot preserves to pair with the White Cheddar and the Buttermilk Blue. The Apricot preserves raised the Blue to stellar heights.
Following the tasting, the Manatee School for the Arts put on a short Holiday Concert.
Giving attendees a chance to cleanse their palates with cookies and punch.
Aah . . . that’s better!
Are your favorite cheeses Mild or Sharp? Nutty or Tangy? Are they Stinky, Aromatic, and Pungent? Peppery, Grassy, or Musky? Silky or Crunchy? Citrusy, Earthy, Sweet, or Salty? Elegant and Rich? Or Rustic and Barn-yardy?