Scatter Joy November 12, 2012Posted by nrhatch in Books & Movies, Gratitude, Happiness.
What is Joy? Where can we find it? How can we share it? Is it Peace? Harmony? An overwhelming feeling of complete and utter well-being?
In this tiny Treasury of Wisdom, the editors of The Secrets of Joy share quotes from around the globe and across the millenia to encourage us to find Joy for ourselves and share Joy with others:
Above all, share the gladness in its pages with others in your life. For joy, contagious as a smile, demands to be spread.
A few favorites from this tiny treasury:
* It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. ~ Agnes Repplier
* Happiness is a how, not a what; a talent, not an object. ~ Hermann Hesse
* What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner. ~ Colette
* May you live all the days of your life. ~ Jonathan Swift
* There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
* Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks. ~ Samuel Johnson
* Scatter Joy. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Interspersed within its 4 chapters (Seeking Happiness, Simple Pleasures, Giving Joy, The Joyful), exuberant and cheerful illustrations encourage readers to smile as they reach for their own paintboxes.
Aah . . . that’s better!