10 Ways To Help Stop Animal Cruelty September 20, 2011Posted by nrhatch in Food & Drink, Sustainable Living.
1. Try a new healthy vegetarian recipe. The animals, the planet, and your body will thank you. If you need ideas, check out the Food & Drink category on SLTW or get a Vegetarian Starter Kit from PCRM.
Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight. ~ Albert Schweitzer
If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals. ~ Albert Einstein
This is how animals are meant to be treated ~ factory farming is overdue for an overhaul.
2. Shop with compassion. Always choose garments and accessories free of fur or fur trim.
If we do not do something to help these creatures, we make a mockery of the whole concept of justice. ~ Jane Goodall
3. Support local nature centers and wildlife sanctuaries.
Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is ~ whether its victim is human or animal ~ we cannot expect things to be much better in this world. ~ Rachel Carson
Atrocities are no less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called research. ~ George Bernard Shaw
How smart does a chimp have to be before killing him constitutes murder? ~ Carl Sagan
What I think about vivisection is that if people admit they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of the many, there will be no limit to their cruelty. ~ Leo Tolstoy
Vivisection is a social evil because if it advances human knowledge, it does so at the expense of human character. ~ George Bernard Shaw
5. Boycott circuses that use animal acts ~ humans are entertaining enough.
It’s a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best of people have always done. ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe
6. Write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper urging readers to support animal protection legislation to prevent animal exploitation and abuse in horseracing, rodeos, dogfighting, bull fighting, puppy mills, etc.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Life is life ~ whether in a cat, or dog, or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage. ~ Sri Aurobindo
Here’s another example of how HAPPY animals become when rescued from the atrocious conditions of puppy mills and factory farms:
7. Stop hunting and fishing “for sport.” Don’t allow hunting or trapping on your property.
The question is not, “Can they reason?” nor, “Can they talk?” but rather, “Can they suffer?” ~ Jeremy Bentham
8. Volunteer at your local animal shelter or sanctuary.
Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care will we help. Only if we help shall they be saved. ~ Jane Goodall
We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. ~ Anna Sewell
10. Visit the Fund For Animals, the Humane Society, or PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) and sign up for free action alerts.
All the arguments to prove man’s superiority cannot shatter this hard fact: in suffering the animals are our equals. ~ Peter Singer
One reason I love animals . . . is because animals love us. Whether they feel love in exactly the same way as humans or not doesn’t matter.
They love. And their love endures. If you doubt that . . . look at this:
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead
Related post: The Bond is a BEST SELLER * Become A Voice of Compassion * Freedom * Go HSUS! * All The Gory Details * The Truth Behind Meat Labels * My Kind of Milkshake * Love Endures * Don’t Shop . . . Adopt * Dancing with JOY!!! * Blackbirds “Under Fire” (PiP) * Smart People on Dumb Animals (Snow Branches)