7 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day April 22, 2011Posted by nrhatch in Health & Wellness, Nature, Sustainable Living.
1. Join Picnic For The Planet, a celebration of the planet we live on, the food it provides and the people we share it with.
2. Watch No Impact Man: The Documentary. No Impact Man and his family reduced their impact on the planet in a number of ways.
Among other things, they: turned off the electricity in their apartment; ate only locally grown food purchased at a nearby farmer’s market and cooked at home on their gas stove; stopped shopping for non-essentials; traded chemical cleaners for natural cleaners (vinegar, baking soda, Borax); stopped eating in restaurants or ordering take-out food; stopped using motorized transportation; and vacationed at a local farm instead of flying or driving to a more “exotic” locale. And they stopped using paper products, including . . . toilet paper!
Ack! I’m willing to reduce, reuse, and recycle, but . . . I’m not giving up toilet paper without a fight.
3. Be Water Wise. Install low flow toilets and flush less often ~ if it’s yellow, let it mellow; if it’s brown, flush it down. Don’t mow too low ~ closely cropped grass requires more water.
4. Sign up to receive Action Alerts. Every day we are bombarded with information ~ good news, bad news, and all around the world news. Let others sift through the info for you. Sign up for Action Alerts and Green Living Tips.
5. Eat Green. Incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet is good for your health, and the health of the planet.
6. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Simplify your life one step at a time. Make more conscious decisions about spending. Remember Life Is Not One-Size-Fits-All. Focus first on tips that will be EASY to implement and build from there.
HAPPY EARTH DAY!