When Life Goes Awry January 8, 2013Posted by nrhatch in Happiness, Life Balance, Mindfulness, Spirituality & Faith.
Tags: Adages, Aphorisms, Faith, God, Laughter, Quips, Quotes
* Some shrug and say, “Shit Happens” or “Life is a crap shoot and we are the targets.”
* Others maneuver around potholes in the road by seeing them as Fate or Karma or Kismet or . . . an opportunity to learn humility by having their faces ground into the dirt.
* Still others placate themselves by saying, “It’s God’s will.” (That’s hard for me to swallow. A ”god” who hand-picks which children suffer from cancer, abuse, or getting shot at their desks in school is not the “god” for me.)
Whatever our beliefs, we all have coping mechanisms that work for us (or against us). When faced with the agonies and absurdities of life, I rely on adages and aphorisms.
* Hardship is inevitable. Misery is optional.
* Bad things happen. Laugh when you can.
* Life is better with laughter.
* We do not laugh because we are happy. We are happy because we laugh.
* How you relate to the issue IS the issue.
* Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
* There is ALWAYS something to laugh about.
There is only one way to achieve lasting happiness.
That way is simple: Be happy.
Aah . . . that’s better!